One bright, punishing morning, have gone by with that throbbing headache, when you’re recounting the events from the last night? or reverse with a cup of coffee and a breakfast burrito?
Not the hangover you’re used to — I’m talking about the new reign of terror in your life: The Adult Hangovers. No matter how you slice that lime, you just can’t get drunk like you used to. But all is not lost. With this totally responsible plan for drinking that almost takes every bit of the fun out of it, you can still get your buzz on and stay functional.
We’ve got a few lifesavers for you.
‘I am never drinking again!’ We’re all guilty of saying it after a night of drinking (low key: raging) with an unbearable headache and a tummy rolling like a sneaker in a washing machine. The main cause of your horrible hangover symptoms is because alcohol is a diuretic and encourages liquid to rapidly leave the body. So waking up gets pretty real, pretty fast.
To avoid poor job performance and to kill it at your meeting the next morning or enjoy that Sunday brunch with the fam, it’s best to sober up the smart way. Here is how you can get by:
1) H20: Helps alleviate headaches, fatigue, nausea and confusion. Rehydrating before you go to sleep can help soften the blow the next morning.
2) Ginger or Peppermint Tea: Tea can reduce nausea and motion sickness. Green tea is great for the liver and also an excellent way to detox the body.
3) Bananas: High in potassium, bananas prevent dehydration. Natural electrolytes get you one step closer to feeling better.
4) Coffee and an Aspirin: The most predictable and easy pair has really been proven to work. A 2010 study published in the journal PlOS ONE found the caffeine in coffee and the anti-inflammatory ingredients of aspirin and other painkillers, reacted against the chemical compounds of ethanol, or pure alcohol. Ethanol is known to bring on headaches due to the chemical acetate. Coffee further dehydrates you and is acidic, but it increases adrenaline which will give you a false energy boost. It’s best to take precaution when it comes to drinking coffee and painkillers together.
5) Flush: Last, but not the least. The ultimate combatant of digestion is a juice that contains apple, beetroot, carrot, ginger, lemon and nothing else that together rehydrate the body. Being a completely natural detox drink this flushes out the toxins and almost instantly makes you feel better. Give it a try and let us know!
6) Electral: Electrolytes are washed out from your body with every sip of alcohol guzzled or sipped! Either way – pour a sachet of Electral into a tall chilled glass of water and sip sip sip that hangover away!
Listening to your body and following these tips will help you feeling like you can #Detoxtoretox. Remember it’s always best to drink in moderation – for your health and your waistline.